Arabic-L:GEN:Getting messages posted

Thu Dec 1 17:45:03 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Getting messages posted

Date: 01 Dec 2005
From:moderator
Subject:Getting messages posted

In the last month there have been about 12 messages that for whatever
reason have not come through the first time, and which the
originators of the messages have had to contact me personally and ask
why I haven't posted the message.  If your message doesn't get
posted, consider the following.

1) I try to post once a week or more, with the exception of holiday
weeks (Thanksgiving, Christmas) and occasional announced breaks.

2) When I post I post everything that is outstanding.

3) Thus, if a set of messages comes through and yours  (which you
have sent previously) is not among them, you can assume that it
didn't get through to me.

4) Apparently BYU's spam filter is applied much more rigorously to
items posted to lists than to items sent to individuals.  Therefore,
if your message doesn't get through, instead of sending it again to
the list (where the filter will probably filter it again) send it
directly to me at dil at byu.edu, asking me to post it to the list, and
I will be more likely to get it.

5) Try to avoid words and phrases in your subject line that could be
mistaken for ads, pornographic messages, or invitations to put 25
million dollars from Nigeria into your bank account, because when the
filter thinks it finds something like that, it automatically deletes
it without asking my permission.  I have checked with our tech
people, and they told me that the spam filter deletes, literally,
millions of messages a month before anything ever arrives to a
recipient, which is amazing since at least half of what does get
through to me is junk.

6) I post the large majority of messages sent to me.  I don't post
messages that have nothing to do with Arabic or the Middle East, that
are overtly political, or that have an angry or 'flaming' tone to
them.  I post ads of interest to subscribers, labeling them as ads,
but not repetitive copies of the same or similar ads.  So there is a
slight chance that I didn't post your message because I simply
decided not to.  However, if your message is an announcement of
anything related to Arabic, Arabic Linguistics, jobs, conferences,
books, articles, on-topic queries, etc. it is almost certain that if
it was not posted it is because I didn't receive it, not because I
decided to discriminate against you.  I actually love every one of
you equally.

I am sorry for the hassle caused by the spam filter, but there is
nothing I can do about it right now other than ask for your patience
and willingness to resend.  I hope you will keep the messages coming,
because I believe that Arabic-L provides a good way for Arabic
language professionals to keep up to date on what is going on in the
field.

Dil