Arabic-L:PEDA:Business Correspondence responses

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Feb 1 18:14:50 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Business Correspondence response
2) Subject:Business Correspondence response
3) Subject:Business Correspondence response

Date: 01 Feb  2005
From:Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject:Business Correspondence response

Greetings.

Re your query on the Arabic-L List

You might buy some of the bilingual books about composing formal /
office correspondence. You can find those guidebooks (although some
vary in their quality and into-English accuracy) at better-stocked
Arabic bookstores near you.

If you are in the NoVA/DCarea, one good store to check is Al-Hikma
(might be listed in the VA tel directory as al-Hikmat Bookstore), on
Highway 7, as I recall.

If you are located elsewhere and away from such Arabic outlets, I can
check the bountifully-stocked bookstores here in southern California
and then advise you about titles and prices, etc.

You might visit "Dar al-Kitab al-Arabi" at URL < www.alkitab.com > and
search their holdings.

If you get that position there at NED, the following are some operating
tips and "lessons learned" from numerous translations I have done on
behalf of the US Institute of Peace (USIP) and other NGOs / PVOs
involved with Iraq or Arabophone parts of Africa:

1.  For correspondence that relates to most-recurring
situations, prepare a register / stock / file of retrievable "format
correspondence" -- i.e., standard discussions and responses of text
with spaces into which you can insert basic relevant / new data. Do
that soon and expand the contents as you go along.

2.   Grants are a somewhat-specialized field, so it may be helpful for
you to review and become very, very familiar with the wording,
concepts, expressions, and treatments in the English correspondence and
associated references about grants and awards, etc.

o   Then, ask your Arab colleagues there to help you with preparing
accurate Arabic equivalents and include those in your register / stock
/ file.

o   Another option is that I can provide that into-Arabic production
for your office at a reasonable rate.

Formats would include Arabic MS Word, RTF, PDF or Arabic MS Word in Mac
environment.

o  I can also provide your NED office with matching language and
culturization services into:

 *   Kurdish (four major dialects and both alphabets)
 *  Aramaic (if NED might deal with applicants in the Assyrian and
Chaldean Christians of Iraq)
 *  Turkmen (ditto)
 *  Farsi

3.  If your NED office has PCs with MS Windows 2000 or XP (XP is much
the better of the two OS), you can create, edit and work with
correspondence written / word-processed in those RTL cursive languages.

(NOTE: for RTL cursive Kurdish, you need to support, install and use
FARSI support included inside the basic CD for MS Windows, *** not ***
Arabic support, as Arabic feature does not support, and therefore
garbles/mangles, some distinctive Kurdish characters that are shared
and supported in the Farsi environment.)

==  Your offices does ***not*** need to purchase any customized or
exotic bidirectional multilingual software. You'd be fine and capable
with MS Windows 2000 / XP and MS Office 2000 or later (add MS Publisher
2K / XP / 2003, just in case)

5.   For production of Arabic-text items in PDF, your office might also
add Adobe Acrobat 6.0 or 7.0 Standard; the "professional" version is
bloated with bells-and-whistles and somewhat beyond the needs and
budget of an ordinary office.

---  PDF is often a more-useful format with overseas recipients that do
not have current or compatible versions of MS Windows and MS Office.

Helpful to include in your PDF note a "tear-off section" or separate
page ("please reply here in the spaces below)" which the recipient can
enter your requested reply and then fax back.

6.   After you create a piece of bilingual correspondence, you
might assign a language article / prefix / suffix (EN and AD), either
at the beginning or end of the subject name (MS Word).

Sample:    Grant Applicant Basic Information_EN

and
                  Grant Applicant Basic Information_AD_(Date/Name)

__or__

Sample:    EN_Grant Applicant Basic Information_(Date/Name)

and
                  AD_Grant Applicant Basic Information_(Date/Name)

Including that language-annotation feature will simplify
your cross-referencing and retrieval of your files (plus some of peace
of mind).

Hope all this helps. Good luck on your consideration for that position
at the NED.

Khair, in sha' Allah.
Regards,
Stephen H. Franke