Arabic-L:PEDA:Cheap Intensive Arabic responses

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Feb 8 00:05:36 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Cheap Intensive Arabic responses

Date: 07 Feb  2005
From:dwilmsen at aucegypt.edu
Subject:Cheap Intensive Arabic responses

You are not going to find a program for nothing.  I would suggest the
Virginia/Yarmouk program, in which you would pay about half the price
of Middlebury, including the ticket to Jordan.  Or at least that is how
the price used to be structured.  But do that soon, as the deadline for
application is March.

I wonder why you wouldn't want to cultivate an Egyptian accent?
Egyptian Arabic is something of a lingua franca in the Arabaphone
world..  If you speak Egyptian, anyone will be able to understand you.
You may not understand them until you get used to their regionalisms,
but once they get over the surprise of hearing someone who looks like
she might be named Heather speaking Arabic at all, they will be able to
understand you quite easily.

David Wilmsen
The American University in Cairo