Arabic-L:PEDA:Using Corpora in Teaching Arabic Query

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Feb 14 20:47:09 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Using Corpora in Teaching Arabic Query

Date: 141 Feb  2005
From:latifa at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Subject:Using Corpora in Teaching Arabic Query

Dear All,
I recently came across several Arabic linguistic studies which are
based on corpora.
  I wonder if corpora are being used in teaching Arabic for foreign
learners.

If so,
	1.  	What tools are being used for accessing the data?
	2.  	 What aspect of language is being explored more? (e.g.  grammar,
vocabulary,.etc)
	3.  	Have you used written as well as spoken corpora?
	4.  	For what level of students?
	5.  	 Are students able to use concordancers and search for  answers
by themselves?

I would appreciate it if you can tell me about your experiences in
using corpora for teaching Arabic in classrooms.

(I will need it for writing a paper)

Thanks
Latifa Al-Sulaiti