Arabic-L:LING:lam with perfective verbs response 2

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Feb 28 22:48:23 UTC 2005

1) Subject:lam with perfective verbs response 2

Date: 01 Feb  2005
From:srpkole at EUnet.yu
Subject:lam with perfective verbs response 2

Dear Mustafa,

Dealing with genuine (dialectal) Arab folk tales long since, I've never
seen
such use of lam (you say lamm -- why, may I ask?). Moreover, I have
never
come across the use of it with any verbal form as far as "pure"
dialectal
texts are concerned. This negative operator is simply not found in the
colloquials -- not at all, as far as I know.

Therefore it might be interesting to hear of what kind are the folk
tales
you mention in your quest. If they are written in the original dialect,
it
would worth while if you'd inform me, or, still better, all of us, on
your
sources. As for al-siira al-hilaaliyya, it is far from being dialectal,
unless you've got some special version of it.

Cordially,
Srpko Lestaric