Arabic-L;PEDA:K-12 Arabic Teachers Qualifications

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jan 19 22:53:12 UTC 2005

1) Subject:K-12 Arabic Teachers Qualifications

Date: 11 Jan  2005
From:khorshid at aucegypt.edu
Subject:K-12 Arabic Teachers Qualifications

Dear Dr. Eissa,

Ideally, the Arabic language teacher should have a degree in teaching
Arabic as a foreign/ second language. But since this is, unfortunately,
not available to everyone, the second best would be a combination of
the following:

1. a training in teaching A foreign/ second language, be it English,
Spanish or whatever.
2. a good knowledge base in Arabic syntax, morphology and other areas
of the Arabic language.
3. a thorough understanding of the difference between teaching Arabic
as a first and as a foreign/ second language. That is, teaching Arabic
to Arab kids in Arab countries versus teaching it to kids whose first
language is not Arabic, in non-Arab countries.
4. an understanding of child psychology, specifically, the different
developmental stages through which the child's brain go.

In my own experience, the last two points are usually overlooked. In
some Islamic schools I visited in the U.S., Arab teachers teach their
kids the same way these teachers had been taught in their countries of
origin.

The most dramatic issue here is whether to start with the Arabic
alphabet or with oral language. It seems that, at least, most teachers,
and parents, equate the alphabet with "the language".
In 2000 the New Horizon Schools in Los Angeles and Orange County
started a communicative program to teach 3-7 year-old kids oral
standard Arabic, without the alphabet. Right now I'm visiting those
schools to evaluate the kids' performance, which looks great to me for
two reasons:

1. The kids play with the language and have fun, no more suffering in
trying to learn the alphabet, which they are not mentally ready for
yet..
2. The kids understand and produce so much; vocab. and sturcture.

If you need more details and quantification please let me know.

Ahmad Khorshid
Arabic Language Instructor
The American University in Cairo
End of Arabic-L:  11 Jan  2005