Arabic-L:LING:lam with perfective verb responses

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Mar 7 22:48:26 UTC 2005

1) Subject:lam with perfective verb response
2) Subject:lam with perfective verb response
3) Subject:lam with perfective verb response

Date: 07 Mar  2005
From:A. Ferhadi <af3 at nyu.edu>
Subject:lam with perfective verb response

Outside al-siirah al-hilaaliyyah, there is an old song by the late
Muhammad Abdulwahaab in colloquial Egyptian Arabic. In that song, 'lam'
precedes the perfective consistently. This is evident in the following
two lines:

I did not abandon you in the sea but you abandoned me on land;
I did not sell/exchange you for gold but you sold me for hay (chopped
straw)

fi-lbaHri lam fut-tukum, fi-lbarri fut-tuuni
in the sea didn't [I] leave you, in the land you left me

bit-tibri lam bi9tukum, bit-tibni bi9tuuni
With gold didn't [I] sell you, with hay you sold me

Ahmed Ferhadi
New York University