Arabic-L:LING:Response to New Republic article

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Mar 9 18:39:40 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Response to New Republic article
2) Subject:Another Response to New Republic article

Date: 09 Mar  2005
From:dwilmsen at aucegypt.edu
Subject:Response to New Republic article

This guy strikes me as something of a mountebank.  Check out this
review of his book on Salon:
http://www.salon.com/books/review/2003/03/26/braude/.  Even more
telling, check out this little tidbit:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/F65A006B-EB57-45D1-A1EE
-37BBC63EAA72.htm.

I wonder where he gets his figures?  Only 70 million Arabic speakers
can't read?  A much larger number can't understand fusha?  How much
larger?  And if they can’t read fusha, what are the 75% (by Mr Braude’s
reckoning) of literate Arabic speakers reading?  Mickey? And, more to
the point, How does he know?  For example, the 250,000 or so milling in
Riad El Solh square yesterday seemed to understand the eloquent Arabic
of Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah perfectly well, to judge by their immediate
and appropriate responses to his words.

Then in his reply to Antony Sullivan, he flings about quotes with
abandon without really reflecting on what they might actually mean in
context.  For instance, he quotes my translation of an interview
with Yusuf al-Qaradawy commenting upon Sheikh El Shaarawi, implying
that Qaradawy is endorsing Shaarawi's style of exegesis.  My own
opinion is that Qaradawi was damning Shaarawi with faint praise.   He
could not very well allow himself to been seen to be disagreeing with
him openly.  To be fair, Mr Braude wasn't able to consult the Arabic
text, and so he might have missed the subtlet irony.  But I think I
managed to capture a bit of it in my translation.  The entire interview
can be seen here.
 http://www.tbsjournal.com/interviewyusufqaradawi.htm

Meanwhile, he quotes Legassik's translation of Midaq Alley in which
Hamida worries about listening to speeches in incomprehensible
classical Arabic.  Of course, that reference could indicate any number
of things, including Hamida's distate for meaningless political
rhetoric.  I wonder how she might have reacted to Nasrallah's much more
meaningful and rousing rhetoric of last night?  I also wonder why Mr
Braude always relies upon translations.  Why doesn’t he go to the
original work?  Midaq Alley is surely available to him in almost any
good university library.  Check out this disclaimer in his latest rant
in the New Republic
http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?pt=ykd%2B2YUQTIRmkcItf9JFjQ%3D%3D:
Translated quotes from Abd Al Halim Qandil, Muhammad Farid Hassanein,
and Mustafa Bakri were taken from the website of the Middle East Media
Research Institute. All other translations are mine.   I wonder.  He
quotes Ayman Nour, but Nour is quoted a lot in the English press
lately.

So the guy knows how to Google and he utilizes MEMRI.  It's very
uncomfortable to me for Mr Braude to be using my work to buttress his
own misguided arguments, but I suppose that is the price one
must pay for hanging one’s shingle out in the blogsphere.
Any self-serving kook can come along at any time and quote one out of
context.

All of this says nothing about the naïveté of Mr Braude’s proposal.
Newscasts or other somber pronouncements of an official nature coming
from US sources (or anywhere else for that matter) and couched in
vernacular Arabic would be considered highly inappropriate.  In any
case, Arabic speakers, whether literate or not, know pretty well what
the US is trying to say to them; if, for the sake of Mr Braude’s
argument, they don’t quite get the point in fusha the first time round,
they will get it on the second time when discussing it amongst
themselves in the vernacular—in a forum where the use of the vernacular
is appropriate.  And they don’t need the elites to explain it to them.
I would guess that most people in the cities who are under the age of
fifty can read, and in Egypt at least, those from the middle and lower
classes often have a better productive capacity in fusha, having
undergone state-sponsored education, than do those of the upper
classes, who send their children to language schools, where European
languages dominate the curriculum.

David Wilmsen
Arabic and Translation Studies
The American University in Cairo