Arabic-L:PEDA:Exchange on DLPT4 Book

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Wed May 4 22:55:03 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Exchange on DLPT4 Book

Date: 04 May  2005
From:director.gls at gmail.com
Subject:Exchange on DLPT4 Book

Hi Stephen,
This is Jabra Ghneim, author of the DLPT book. Actually you got it all
wrong about the book being for DLPT 4. The book was constructed using
Bayesian selection methods from a corpora. Let me explain that in
plain English. I taught Arabic to the military for a good part of last
year and also over the past 12 years period. Using that experience I
managed to develop a teaching methodology where we can get student
start Arabic from scratch and pass the DLPT at 2/2+/1+ in 46 weeks
(actually 36 weeks in other cases.) Using this experience over the
past 12 years I developed a huge corpora of text from different
genres, and along with it I generated a list of the most frequent
words and verbs in the Arabic language. Then I wrote a computer
program using C+  and Python that went into that data dumb and
selected the text (I like to call them cuts) that scored high
frequencies in terms of verbs and nouns and even some grammatical
rules (Idafa, passive active, etc) . SO, when you use the book you
will encounter 95% (margin of error is + or _3% in the current version
of the book) of the Arabic that you need to know to do your job for
the military or any other analyst job. Thus, the book is designed to
provide value and training regardless of the version of the test you
are taking. Now is there more to be done, yes of course, in the next
version (next 12 months) I will try to narrow my margin of error to 1%
and increase vocab and structure coverage. I will also be working on
adding live text (TV and radio broadcasting) into the material and
make it simulate more real life situations. Still, I believe the
current version of the book can serve all Arabic learners, especially
in the military, to pass any version of the DLPT.

Regards
Jabra Ghneim
Director, GLS