Arabic-L:LING:Naming Practices

Fri Nov 18 21:40:51 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Naming Practices

Date: 18 Nov 2005
From:Talaat.Pasha at utah.edu
Subject:Naming Practices

Also, in the Delta rural areas of Egypt, people might say when they
call a person bitt ya-um- Gouda ( meaning: oh [ you] girl the
daughter of Gouda,  where Gouda is proper name). Although um means
mother, but here in this context it refers to the daughter and not
the mother.

Also there are some funny situations where one can have two names
regardless of any sociolinguistic reason. This actually happened to
me as I have two names:  one is popular ( at home, friends, area
where I live) and one in official papers and people call my mom with
the mom of + popular name. the name was so popular that one of my
friends at school came once to my house to ask about me, he asked for
me using my official name,  and my grandma told him “ there is no one
here by this name, son!”. She did not at that time even recognize
that I have another name.

What happened is the one who was registering names at the health
affairs office looks like he had a hearing problem he heard Tarek as
Talaat. (No phonetic or acoustic reason for that!) . it was too late
to correct it when my family realized that I have a new name, so they
kept calling my with one name and kept the new name for the government.

Talaat Pasha
University of Utah

End of Arabic-L:  18 Nov 2005