Arabic-L:PEDA:Summer courses at UPenn

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at BYU.EDU
Fri Apr 14 18:25:25 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Summer courses at UPenn

Date: 14 Apr 2006
From:emad at sas.upenn.edu
Subject:Summer courses at UPenn

ARAB 131-910. Intensive Elementary Arabic I & II. (staff)
Prerequisite: None
This is a six- week intensive course offered in the summer through
the Office of
Summer
Sessions; (see Penn Summer Course Guide.)
  This is the beginning course in Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). It
will introduce
you to the speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills in the
standard
means of communication in the Arab world. The course is proficiency-
based,
implying that all activities are aimed at placing you, the learner,
in the
context of the native-speaking environment from the very beginning.
Evaluation
is done by the more traditional testing methods (vocabulary tests,
dictations,
grammar and translation exercises). We anticipate that by the end of
this
course students will range in proficiency from Novice High to
Intermediate Low
on the ACTFL scale; in other words (using the terminology of the
government's
Foreign Service Institute), from 'incipient survival' to 'full
survival' in the
native-speaking environment. (see course description for more details).
ARAB 133-910. Intermediate Arabic I & II. (Emad Rushdie)
Prerequisite: ARAB 031-032
This a six- week intensive course offered in the summer through the
Office of
Summer Sessions; see Penn Summer Course Guide.) This is the
continuation of
ARAB 131-910, the elementary course in Modern Standard Arabic (MSA).
This
course is also proficiency-based, implying that all activities within
the
course are aimed at placing you, the learner, in the context of the
native-speaking environment from the very beginning. As in ARAB 131-910,
evaluation is done by the more traditional testing methods
(vocabulary tests,
grammar and translation exercises). Completion of this course
fulfills the
College of Arts and Sciences' language requirement in Arabic.
However, it
should be emphasized that you will need a longer period of study to
achieve
proficiency in Arabic. We anticipate that students range from
Intermediate Low
to Intermediate High according to ACTFL scale.
Please contact Emad Rushdie for further information.

Emad Rushdie
Lecturer in Foreign Languages
Coordinator of the Arabic Language Program
University of Pennsylvania
Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
847 Williams Hall
255 south 36th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Phone: (215)898-7466