Arabic-L:PEDA:Questions about U of Damascus and ALIF

Fri Apr 21 18:55:54 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Questions about U of Damascus and ALIF

Date: 21 Apr 2006
From:ssaifee79 at yahoo.com
Subject:Questions about U of Damascus and ALIF

[requestor is not a subscriber to Arabic-L so please respond directly
to her at the above address.]

My questions are:  (1)  I have been attempting to contact University
of Damascus about studying Arabic in one of their four-week modules
(Sept. 24 to Oct. 19 2006) and have been told that UD has no pre-
registration process; it is open enrollment.  The admissions contact
also does not respond to my emails as frequently as I would like
(usually once every 3-4 days), and advised me that the only required
documents to bring are those listed on their website. Otherwise I am
basically to show up.  Another point of concern is that the bulletin
for the Arabic Language Center expressly states that class schedules
may be adjusted without advance notice.  I was wondering if other
Westerners have studied at UD, and if so, how your experiences have
been, both with the arrival procedures (i.e. "open enrollment"
policy, finding housing on your own, etc.) and the program in
general;  (2)  I am also interested to learn about experiences with
the Arabic program at ALIF in Fez, Morocco.  In addition to hearing
about the program in general, if anyone specifically has taken MSA
460A & B (advanced readings in Islamic texts), I would love to hear
your reactions to those courses.  Thank you so much.  Seema Saifee