Arabic-L:LIST:Information about New Listserv

Thu Aug 3 14:29:49 UTC 2006

1) Subject:NInformation about New Listserv

Date: 03 Aug 2006
From:moderator
Subject:Information about New Listserv

As I mentioned in an earlier message, Arabic-L has been migrated to
updated listserv software.  This adds an archive at Arabic-L itself
(besides the archive maintained by Linguist), and it also allows you
more control over your own subscription.  Here is how it works.

1. Determine what e-mail address you are signed up to Arabic-L
under.  (This is important, because the other steps won't work unless
you have the right version of your address.)  If you can't figure it
out, e-mail me directly at dil at byu.edu.

2. Using a browser, log on to listserv.byu.edu.

3. Click on Get a LISTESERV password for this server.  This will
bring you to a page where you will type in the e-mail address
mentioned in #1 above, and then set a password, which you need to
remember.

address and password.

5. Click on Subscriber's Corner.

6. A list of the things you are subscribed to will appear (probably
just Arabic-L).

7. Click on Arabic-L to view and change your subscriber options.

8. On this page you can
	a. change the e-mail address you want to be subscribed from, by
typing in the new address in the box (over the old one)
	b. change your subscription type: regular just posts the messages as
I send them out, digest combines them into one long message and sends
them out once a day, and index (I think) sends you the headers only.
	c. change the mail header style
	d. change the acknowledgements: noack means you won't receive
confirmation that your message has been sent, and ack means the
opposite.  If you leave Receive copy of own postings checked or
unchecked, probably nothing will change.
	e. Miscellaneous: nomail temporarily stops sending you arabic-l
messages (while you are on vacation, for example).  When you set your
own local server to send out a message stating that you are away on
vacation, I get that message for every message I send out.  When you
multiply that by the number of subscribers on vacation at any one
time, you might realize why I get hundreds of unwanted messages
daily.  So, before you go on vacation, if you are going to set your
own server to send out that message, it would also be nice if you set
your Arabic-L subscription to nomail.  If I get annoyed enough I will
do it for you.
	f. if you click Address concealed from REVIEW listing, then
subscribers who request to see the list of subscribers to Arabic-L
will not be given access to your address.  If you leave it unchecked,
subscribers who want to see a list of other subscribers to Arabic-L
will get a list that will include your address.  Non-subscribers will
not have access to this list in any case.  If you send a message to
Arabic-L, however, that in effect gives me permission to put your
address on the message, so clicking this option doesn't conceal your
address in all circumstances, only in the case of a subscriber
sending a REVIEW command to the listserv and receiving back a list of
subscribers.

9. Before you leave this window, you must click Update Options for
the new selections to go into effect.

10. If you want to unsubscribe to Arabic-L, simply click on the
button Leave Arabic-L

Most of the options on the subscriber options page have an underline,
and if you click on that word you will be given more information
about that option, although not always all the information you might
want.

In some lists like Arabic-L the moderator simply sends the message on
to subscribers without altering it. However, in Arabic-L, the message
is copied into a template that includes the date, the topic, and
which groups messages on the same subject together.  To accomplish
this, I have to 'reject' the original message so it doesn't get
passed on, and then send the revised format to the list.  If you get
a rejection notice and then the message comes through anyway, that is
probably the reason.
Remember, however, that the list is now set to automatically reject
anything with attachments, so those won't get through to me at all.
If you must send an attachment, send it directly to me, but it would
be better to copy the contents of the attachment into the message
itself, which is what I have to do before I post it.
Any questions?

Dil