Arabic-L:GEN:Persian or Farsi responses

Wed Aug 16 23:11:55 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Persian or Farsi response
2) Subject:Persian or Farsi response
3) Subject:Persian or Farsi response
4) Subject:Persian or Farsi response
5) Subject:Persian or Farsi response

Date: 16 Aug 2006
From:"Lampe, Gerald" <glampe at nflc.org>
Subject:Persian or Farsi response

The correct word in English is "Persian." "Farsi" is the Persian word
for Persian. This issue is somewhat complicated by the fact that some
folks in the government refer to "Persian Farsi," meaning the Persian
spoken in Iran as opposed to variants of Persian spoken in other
countries, Dari and Tajik.

Gerald E. Lampe, Ph.D.