Arabic-L:LING:Why do electronic Wehr?

Mon Aug 21 21:04:45 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Why do electronic Wehr?

Date: 21 Aug 2006
From:Marc Van Mol <Mark.VanMol at ilt.kuleuven.be>
Subject:Why do electronic Wehr?

Hello,

I wonder why there should be an electronic version of the dictionary
of Hans Wehr?  The dictionary of Hans Wehr is quite outdated.  I have
been working on the compilation of Arabic dictionaries for Dutch for
more than 20 years and I can assure everybody that the dictionary of
Hans Wehr contains many obsolete words which are not used anymore.
Moreover, there are many words (5%) from our database based on a
modern corpus) which do not occur un the dictionary of Hans Wehr.
Another problem is the fact that it is a translation from German,
which means that it contains many uncertain meanings.  See for an
evaluation my article in: Van Mol, Mark (2000) The development of a
new learner's dictionary for 	Modern Standard Arabic, the corpus
linguistic approach, In Proceedings of 	the Ninth EURALEX
international Congress, Stuttgart, 8-12 august 2000, pp. 831-836.
The dictionary of Wehr is also not conceived according to modern
standards of lexicography, which are most clearly defined in, among
others, the cobuild dictionaries of English.  The question is why the
English speaking community doesn't start a common effort to make an
up to date electronic dictionary according to modern principles in
lexicography.  Technically speaking there is no problem because we
have developed a bidirectional relational database for dictionaries
on which our paper dictionaries are based.  Many elements in this
database are reusable for other languages, which coule mean an
important saving in time.

The problem is that for the compilation corpora will have to be
translated in detail, which is a painstaking work demanding a great
effort.  Many of the things we would like to know are not registered
in Hans Wehrs' dictionary which is basically a word to word
translation dictionary with almost no information on collocations,
frequency etc.  For more details on the work we have done about
Arabic lexicography and compputer technology, you can visit our website:

http://www.kuleuven.ac.be/ilt/arabic/index_en.htm

Greetings,

Mark Van Mol
Institute for Living Languages