Arabic-L:LING:More dictionary responses

Wed Aug 23 16:15:18 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Dictionary response
2) Subject:Dictionary response

Date: 23 Aug 2006
From:Jan Hoogland <j.hoogland at let.ru.nl>
Subject:More on new and old dictionaries

As a colleague (and competitor ;-) of Mark I can only agree with him.
Without having read all last week's messages about Wehr since I just
returned from my holiday, I can only agree with Mark on his critical
remarks about Wehr.
As an arabist who started studying Arabic in 1976, I grew up with Wehr,
so I certainly know what Wehr has meant for thousands of arabists from
all parts of the world, but we have to realize in what era Wehr has
compiled his (then) outstanding dictionary.

In addition to Mark's suggestion that the English speaking community
could undertake a common effort I would like to inform the whole Arabic
and English speaking community that the data of both Mark's dictionary
and mine are, on certain conditions of course, available for reusing for
scientific purposes and for (commercial) publishers.
I would be glad to supply additional information on this topic to
interested parties.

More information on the dictionary project, including sample pages, can
be found at the project website: www.let.ru.nl/wba

Furthermore I take the liberty of quoting my good friend and colleague
Tim Buckwalter who wrote on this list some months ago:
There are probably more recent works. Also, if you plan to identify
word-sense subdivisions, you will find the numbered senses in Jan
Hoogland's Arabic-Dutch dictionary quite useful. Hoogland's dictionary
is considerably more up to date than Wehr's lexicon--and it's corpus
based. (sorry for removing context - jh)

Jan

Jan (Abu Samir) Hoogland
Dept. of Arabic, University of Nijmegen
POB 9103, 6500 HD Nijmegen, the Netherlands
phone (0)24-3612641, residence: (0)24-3550199, mobile:(0)653652861
mobile in Morocco/GSM au Maroc: +-212-(0)79 146312
fax: (0)24-3500719
mail: j.hoogland at let.ru.nl
personal website: www.janhoogland.com
Arabic dictionary project website: www.let.ru.nl/wba