Arabic-L:LING:Dictionaries discussion

Wim Raven raven at EM.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE
Mon Aug 28 13:16:26 UTC 2006

Since some subscribers encouraged me privately to clarify my accusation
that Wehr in his Arabic-German/English dictionary dealt with ancient
words from an unmentioned source, I will do so.

In my classes of classical (old!) Arabic texts, I use Rudolph Ernst
BrŸnnow & August Fischer, Arabische Chrestomathie aus
Prosaschriftstellern, 3d. ed. Leipzig 1924, 7th ed. Wiesbaden 1988.
This book has an Arabic-German glossary, which is useful for the
students, since there is no reliable Classical Arabic-German
dictionary. When the glossary is not satisfying, or the German words
are simply outdated, we look into the German edition of Wehr as well.
And there I have been struck at many occasions by the verbatim
similarity of the renderings. But Wehr does not mention BrŸnnow-Fischer
among his Ôsecondary sourcesÕ. Had he done so, it would not have looked
good, since BrŸnnow-Fischer contains only age-old texts.

Of course, akala means Ôto eatÕ, in all dictionaries. But when the
rendering is a bit longer, the similarities are obvious.
Some examples:

- tah.annatha means according to BrŸnnow-Fischer's Glossar:
EntsŸndigung, religišse LŠuterung suchen.
- In the German Wehr, 5th edition, I read: Frommigkeit Ÿben;
EntsŸndigung, religišse LŠuterung suchen; der SŸnde widerstehen, der
SŸnde nicht nachgeben.
- In Wehr/Cowan, 3d ed., this was translated into English: to practice
piety, perform works of devotion; to seek religious purification; to
scorn sin, not yield to sin.
Now this word goes back to only ONE old prose text from the 8th
century. Its meaning was unclear already in the 9th century and it is
until now. (About tah.annatha see M. Kister, ÔAl-tah.annuth: an enquiry
into the meaning of a term,Õ BSOAS 31 (1968), p. 223-236.)
BrŸnnow-Fischer ventured a meaning; Wehr took it over and ÔknewÕ even
more.
Apart from not mentioning his source in his introduction, Wehr made two
more mistakes here: 1) fantasizing     2) making us believe, this
obscure word is Ômodern written ArabicÕ and frequent enough to deserve
a place in a dictionary.

A far more frequent, but equally obscure word:
- h.an”f means according to BrŸnnow-Fischer's Glossar: jmd. der statt
e. ihn umgebenden falschen d. wahre Religion bekennt.
- German Wehr, 5th edition: RechtglŠubiger; e-r der statt der ihn
umgebenden falschen die wahre Religion bekennt, etc.
- Wehr/Cowan, 3d ed.: true believer, orthodox; one who scorns the false
creeds surrounding him and professes the true religion, etc.
This word is from the Koran. It should be in Wehr, all right, since it
is quoted in many modern texts. It is obvious that Wehr copied B/F's
loquacious and rather ÔtheologizingÕ circumscription of the meaning
almost verbatim. The meaning: true believer, orthodox cannot be used
outside a koranic context. No modern Arab would call himself or a
fellow Arab h.an”f when he means true believer.

Another interesting case is found under the root Ãsrr :
- BrŸnnow-Fischer: V tasarr‰ (neben tasarrara) c. bi  mul.: zur
BeischlŠferin (surriyya) nehmen.
- German Wehr: V tasarr‰ (neben tasarrara) (bi od. h‰ eine Frau) zur
Konkubine (surriyya) nehmen, als Geliebte haben.
Wehr/Cowan: V tasarr‰ (and tasarrara) to take (bi or h‰ a woman) as
concubine (surriyya).
In the German Wehr, only the word BeischlŠferin was replaced by the
somewhat chaster and/or modern word Konkubine. Both works enter this
lemma under the root Ãsrr instead of Ãsry, although they apparently
consider Ãsry primary. (In ancient dictionaries, it does occur under
both roots.)

Etcetera. Please, give us new dictionaries!

Wim Raven

Dr. Wim Raven
Orientalisches Seminar
J.W. Goethe-UniversitŠt