Arabic-L:PEDA:Response to Vocab Book

Wed Dec 6 19:32:36 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Response to Vocab Book

Date: 06 Dec 2006
From: "John Joseph Colangelo" <yaacolangelo at hotmail.com>
Subject:Response to Vocab Book

> Build Your Arabic Vocabulary, by Haroon Shirwani (144 pages)

Has anybody used this book? Is it flooded with English? This is
something I want to call to everyone's attention: The fact that some
of these teaching materials are flooded with instruction and
translation in English. Personally, when I start my students with
letters I only speak to them in Arabic. I use a book by Nicol'as
Weber but in reality I could use almost any book. The reason why I
use this book is it gives the letter and exercises on one page. This
means I can do about 6 letters an hour with them and they have time
to hand me in their homework within a couple of days. I never use any
English with them except at the end of the class where I ask them if
they have any questions. Of course teaching the letters is  a simple
process. Then I start the الكتاب الأساسي لجامعة
أم القرى which my wife used when we were there and it is really
excellent material. But what is interesting about this book is even
though it starts with nouns I can orally use verbs with them asking
them lots of questions and having them ask each other as well. When
we talk to each other in Arabic the most common verbs that appear are
ليس and يسكن and يكتب as well as prepositions and question
words. But the fact is this: When you speak with the students for
half an hour repeating with them questions, answers, affirmations and
negations after when you write it on paper they understand and they
don't forget because what they speak and practise is what sticks in
their head and not writing it in Arabic with English translations.
The usage of the mother tonguein the classroom is for those teachers
who want to practice it instead of teaching Arabic.
John Colangelo
Arabic/Spanish/English Linguist & Translator