Arabic-L:PEDA:Arabic in US High Schools responses

Mon Jan 2 18:35:16 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Arabic in US High Schools response
2) Subject:Arabic in US High Schools response
3) Subject:Arabic in US High Schools response
4) Subject:Arabic in US High Schools response
5) Subject:Arabic in US High Schools response

Date: 02 Jan 2006
From:AyoubyK at dearborn.k12.mi.us
Subject:Arabic in US High Schools response

TaHiyyaat,

Arabic is taught as AFL in two Dearborn (Michigan) high schools and
at some middle schools, while there is an elementary level (bilingual
Arabic/Enlgish program, called, "yalla").

The problem of teaching at the high school (or any public school for
that matter) is not only a one of desire on the part of local school
boards/administrations to include it in their foreign language
programming, but also it is an issue of competence--especially now.
Now more than ever, under the requirements of "No Child Left Behind
Act", teachers must possess high proficiency in their taught fields.
Thus, not only teachers must be certified (i.e., licensed to teach in
their area of specialty), but now must show high level of competence.

Of course, there aren't any AFL programs in the country that are
preparing teachers--(with the exception of Dr. Mahdi AlOsh's work at
OSU, but I don't know if there is any new developments on that front.)

In Michigan, I have been working with a small group to get Arabic
noticed at the State Board of Education level. In deed, I have some
good news.

The small ad hoc committee will soon be expanded to include whom ever
wishes to be identified with the cause of Arabic in the public
schools, and will be working on a plan to present to the State Board
of Education to add Arabic as a certificatable language in Michigan
(which, then, will be the impetus/motivation for Arabic language
departments in our state (we hope) to focus on preparing teachers in
colloboration with schools/colleges of education, usually the
competent authorities (in conjuction with the state department of
education) to recommend certification.

This past week, I was part of a national panel that conducted an
"Objectives Review" for formulating testing standards for the
certification of world language teachers. This was part of a
collaborative effort between my state and a national stadards testing
company that creates standarized tests for the above purpose
throughout the country. Competence in Arabic (and other LCTLs) along
with the usually taught languages will be tested in prospective
teachers before being certified in Michigan in accordance with ACTFL
standards, (thus, if Arabic ACTFL standards need to be reconsidered
as one posting suggested, it is time to do so now). The testing
formulation is in process right now and will be completed with in a
year to 18 months. At any rate, teachers in Michigan soon will be
tested (in accordance with new standards) in content area (the Five
Skills) as well as in pedagogy.

It is highly important that AFL professionals and departments start
thinking more (in terms of research, curriculum development, etc. )
about Arabic pedagogy. And, I do mean pedagogy, not adult education,
which is what most programming is geared to, e.g., al-kitab, EMSA,
Ahalan wa Sahlan, etc.

I do hope this information will motivate some to work in that direction.

Alf Salaam,

Kenneth
Kenneth K. Ayouby, DEd, CALJ
Student Services Liaison/Hearing Officer
Executive Editor, The Dearborn Educator
Department of Special Programs & Student Services
Administrative Service Center
Dearborn Public Schools
18700 Audette St.
Dearborn, MI 48126