Arabic-L:LING:Concordances for Arabic

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at BYU.EDU
Fri Jul 7 21:55:16 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Concordances for Arabic

Date: 7 Jul 2006
From:moderator
Subject:Concordances for Arabic

I thought some of you might like to see the following exchange from
Corpora-List:

________________

I would like to hear from anyone about the availability of a reliable
and friendly concordancer for Arabic. Thanks.
Georgette Jabbour

________________

There is an overview of current concordancers in the latest issue of
Corpus Linguistics and Linguistic Theory
http://www.degruyter.de/rs/384_7546_DEU_h.htm

A couple of programs tested there meet the required criteria.
(In case you don't have access to this resource, I would be happy to
provide you with a prefinal draft of this article.)

best,
Daniel Wiechmann

________________

By coincidence, there is also a review of concordancers applied to
Arabic texts in

  Roberts, Andrew; Al-Sulaiti, Latifa; and Atwell, Eric. 2006.
  aConCorde: Towards an Open-Source, Extendable Concordancer for Arabic.
  To appear in issue 1.1 of the new journal CORPORA, see
  http://www.eup.ed.ac.uk/journals/content.aspx?pageId=1&journalId=12505

We compare Arabic concordance via "market leaders" MonoConc,
Wordsmith, and Xaira with aConCorde, our free open-source
concordancer; for more
details see http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/arabic

- naturally, I would encourage you to use aConCorde!
(and to subscribe to CORPORA :-)

Eric Atwell, Leeds University