Arabic-L:PEDA:Dialect Materials in Script Discussion

Mon Jun 12 14:45:39 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Dialect Materials in Script Discussion
2) Subject:MSA First Discussion

Date: 01 Jun 2006
From:g_sonias at qualcomm.com
Subject:Dialect Materials in Script Discussion

ahlan,

I like to share with you, our experience at the University of
California, San Diego.  Both instructors and students like our system
and are happy with the results.

Contrary to most universities' program,  where the students of Arabic
need to learn at least one year of Modern Standard Arabic,  before
enrolling in Colloquial  Arabic classes, our students enroll
concurrently, and  from the very first course, in  2 classes:
Communication and Culture (Conversation, Egyptian dialect) and
Analysis( Structure and Grammar, Modern Standard Arabic). Students
have to pass both classes before enrolling in the next course.

There is no doubt that it's not an easy task, especially at the
beginning; however, with time the students like that system since,
according to them, they feel more comfortable speaking to natives, at
an early stage;  and,  at the same time, they learn the  Modern
Standard Arabic. Furthermore, they asked for  a "Conversation Hour",
once a week outside class,  where they could have a conversation
among themselves and the instructor in a relax and enjoyable atmosphere.

As for the script, the first weeks of the quarter, probably between
3rd or 4th, the instructor of  the Conversation class introduces the
vocabulary and the dialogues in both the transliteration and the
Arabic script. But, few weeks later, the transliteration is dropped
and the instructor and the students adopt the Arabic script. All
instruction is  provided only in the Arabic script.

Why did we choose the Egyptian dialect? Because it  is the most
common, the most understood and because we have a study program
abroad at the American University in Cairo. In addition, more
materials can be found, when it comes to CDs, videos and movies.  I
also believe that once the students are exposed to the Egyptian
dialect, they can easily learn others. Furthermore,  we receive many
e-mails from our students thanking us for having equipped them with
the right tools in their study abroad. Students are happy to
understand the people and to communicate with them in their own
language. According to them, the Egyptians they deal with,  are
surprised of and impressed with their knowledge of the language, the
Egyptian idioms,  the expressions and the culture.

Definitely, our system works for us and for our students.

Sonia Ghattas-Soliman