Arabic-L:LING:Needs Grammaticality judgements (CLLD)

Mon Jun 19 18:20:49 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Needs Grammaticality judgements (CLLD)

Date: 19 Jun 2006
From:Aviad Eilam <eilamavi at babel.ling.upenn.edu>
Subject:Needs Grammaticality judgements (CLLD)

Hi,
I am working on clitic left-dislocation (CLLD) structures in Amharic,
and am
trying to see how close they are to the Arabic forms.
I need judgments from native Arabic speakers regarding the examples
below,
regardless of dialect (although it would be interesting to discover
dialectal
variation).
(i) walad (vs. el-walad) shufto embaareH.
(ii) itnein nas shuftom embaareH.
(iii) waaHed (i.e., someone) shufto embaareH.
(iv) shu shtriito embaareH?

The basic issue involves the degree of definiteness needed for a left-
dislocated
constituent. In Amharic the constituent must be overtly marked as
definite.

Shukran jaziilan,
Aviad

--