Arabic-L:LIT:Jabra Ibrahim Jabra Novel translation responses

Tue Oct 17 23:02:16 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Jabra Ibrahim Jabra Novel translation response
2) Subject:Jabra Ibrahim Jabra Novel translation response

Date: 17 Oct 2006
From:Farouk Mustafa <f-mustafa at uchicago.edu>
Subject:Jabra Ibrahim Jabra Novel translation response

Wasn't it written orginally in English?
Farouk Mustafa

Date: 17 Oct 2006
From: "Dr. M Deeb" <muhammaddeeb at gmail.com>

On my colleague Agnese Boscarol's query:

Most of Jabra's canon is available in English translation.  *Hunters in
a Narrow Streets *was  written originally in English and published in
1960.
A two-volume autobiography: *The First Well *& *The Princess' Street*
are
translated by Isa Bullata. Jabra's.  Other works of fiction: *In
Search of
Walid Masoud *and *Ship *are translated jointly by Roger Allen and Adnan
Haydar.

As for his early novel, *Suraakh fi laylin Tawiil* ("Screaming in a long
night,"  1955; rpt. 5th. edn. by Dar Aldab), my sources lead to me to
suppose that it hasn't been rendered yet in English.  For further
confirmation, please, pass your query to *Al-Adab*, and the editor
and his
wife will likely to provide with proper and more solid information.
With my
kind  regards.

  M. Deeb
Professor of English & Comparative Literature