Arabic-L:GEN:Transliteration responses

Thu Oct 19 15:57:38 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Transliteration response
2) Subject:Transliteration response

Date: 19 Aug 2006
From:Douglas Young <douglasyoung at sbcglobal.net>
Subject:Transliteration response

Thanks to Rose Aslan for articulating a poorly-defined and frequent
problem
in Arabic transliteration (capitalization of the article, "al").  The
randomness of whether or not to capitalize is just one of a multitude of
problems that bedevil anyone who attempts an accurate and consistent
transliteration.  Unfortunately, I agree with Rose's friend in their
mini-debate.  Since "al" is an article, and because standard English
usage
does not capitalize articles (except at the beginning of a sentence or
title), I would argue that the transliterated article should be lower-
case.
The example of the capitalized article in the Spanish "El Camino Real"
ignores the fact that this set phrase long ago was borrowed into
California-ese, which, of course, applied its own English capitalization
conventions to the first word of the phrase "el,"  probably without a
full
awareness that it even was an article.  If this specific street were
referred to mid-sentence in a Spanish text, it would be with a lower-
case
article, "...el Camino Real..."  The other example (a mid-sentence, "The
United Nations") is simply not standard capitalization:  I would be
running
for my red editorial pen to revise the article to a lower-case "t."
However, this does remind me of one of my pet peeves in the US, "The
Ohio
State University" (initiated by OSU and afterwards aped by a few
other state
schools, and even some prestige private ones, such as, NYU and Chicago).
That the university requires the use of a definite article before its
name,
when there usually would be none, and the fact that the article is
always
capitalized, really "takes the cake" for academic pomposity (pace
those at
OSU, NYU, Chicago, and anyone who has to live with this abomination
in the
institution's name).

Douglas Young