Arabic-L:PEDA:naturalarabic.com website

Sat Sep 23 23:59:09 UTC 2006

1) Subject:naturalarabic.com website

Date: 23 Aug 2006
From:Andrew Cavell [mailto:andrewcavell at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject:naturalarabic.com website

I am writing regarding a website which I have developed for teaching
Arabic to English speakers. The address is www.naturalarabic.com. I
think it would be of interest to learners of any level and was
wondering if you could perhaps mention it to your students or put a
link on your website.

It might also be something you could consider incorporating into your
teaching program at your university. If so, please let me know and we
can discuss rates.

The site is essentially a collection of topical news stories (updated
weekly) from Arabic newspapers, with parallel English translations
and recordings by native Arabic speakers. Users can click on any word
to hear it read aloud and see the translation highlighted or they can
play the whole recording to hear it read at natural speed. As it is
regularly updated, it is motivational for students and also serves as
a good basis for conversation classes.

I think it is a useful way to learn, in conjunction with class
teaching, and hope it will be of interest.

If you have any comments or queries, please let me know.

Regards,
Andrew Cavell