Arabic-L:LING:Nimsa (and Franks)

Fri Apr 6 22:34:08 UTC 2007

1) Subject:tNimsa (and Franks)
2) Subject: Nimsa
3) Subject: Nimsa
4) Subject: Nimsa
5) Subject: Nimsa
6) Subject: Nimsa
7) Subject: Nimsa

Date: 06 Apr 2007
From:Klaus Lagally <lagally at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
Subject:Nimsa (and Franks)

The Franks were (and still are) a Germanic tribe, still settling in
central
germany. They conquered the former Roman empire around 700 AD; their
most
famous ruler was Charlemagne, coronated in Rome in 800 AD. The Franks'
empire was divided up by his descendants into three parts: Germany,
Lorraine,
and France (this part kept the name). Lorraine was later joined to
France,
Germany took its own way. Later the crusades started in France, but took
participants all over Europe. The common language of the crusaders was
ancient French, thus presumably the term 'franji' in Arabic.

'Nemec' is the Czech term for German. The Czech came under German rule
early; when Austria separated from the (German) 'Holy Roman Empire',
they
kept domination of the Czechs. Thus the term 'nemec' got narrowed to
mean
Austrian in political context; otherwise still German in general. I have
no idea why the Arabs took 'nimsawi' to mean Austrian, not German in
general.

This info is from memory, and may be inaccurate :-(

Klaus