Arabic-L:LING:Clitic left dislocations responses

Tue Apr 17 16:05:34 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Clitic left dislocations responses

Date: 17 Apr 2007
From:"Marco Hamam" <marco.hamam at poste.it>
Subject:Clitic left dislocations responses

Hi Aviad. I give you my impressions:

> (1) a. nafs-o kariim shaaf-o.    vs.
>     b. nafs-o kariim shaaf.
>     'Karim saw himself (e.g., in the mirror).'

In Egyptian dialect "shaf nafso" may also mean "to think a lot of
oneself". Anyways, "nafs" is considered feminine, even in dialect.
So, for example, "howwa 3ala Tuul biyluum nafs-o w-biy3aatebha" ("he
always reproaches himself and blames himself"). Both solutions 1a.
and 1b. are odd as regard the "reflexive". Maybe in contest, you can
have 1a. with the correct version "nafso, kariim shaaf-ha" but not 1b
as reflexive. You can say "nafso kariim shaaf il-ma7all ill inta
bititkallim 3aliih" ("Karim himself saw the shop you are talking
about").

> (2) a. kitaab-o kariim qara?-o.  vs.
>     b. kitaab-o kariim qara?.
>     'Karim read his (i.e., Karim's) book.'

Here 2b. is wrong. A 2a. corrected solution is ok: kitaab-o, kariim
2araa-h (min zamaan) (egyptian)

> (3) a. ba9Dahum ba9Dan ?el-awlaad Darab-u-hum.    vs.
>     b. ?el-awlaad Darab-u ba9Dahum ba9Dan.
>     'The children hit each other.'

This cannot be considered dialect for the correct use of " i3rab ".
Ba3Dahum ba3Dan is considered good standard arabic while dialect
prefers only "ba3D". 3b. is correct. 3a. is an impossible solution.
Consider that here you can't refer to ba3Dahum ba3Dan with "-hum".
So, for example, you say : "2a7ibbuu ba3Dakum ba3Dan wa-saa3iduu
ba3Dakum ba3Dan" ("Love each other and help each other") but not
"2a7ibbuu ba3Dakum ba3Dan wa-saa3iduu-hum".
My personal opinion is that it's more a fact of syntax while for
example (3) this could be discussed.
Hope it helps.

Marco Hamam