Arabic-L:LING:compromise, privacy, integrity

Thu Aug 30 23:30:06 UTC 2007

1) Subject:compromise
2) Subject:compromise, privacy, integrity

Date: 30 Aug 2007
From:BearMeiser at aol.com
Subject:compromise

Professor Dil:
That was probably the best explanation of why the hypothesis of this
article
I was given is so untenable. So, we could say that historically, the
word
"compromise" didn't exist in Arabic until the recent past, but
neither did it
exist in English with its current meaning. And of course this fact
tells us
nothing about Middle eastern history. Any people involved in war and
conflict in
their history (which is, I believe, pretty much every people on earth
except
maybe for maybe a few isolated groups somewhere) has at some point
had to learn to
give up something to get something else.

It is interesting to note that while "compromise" necessarily has to
be a
part of everyone's history, I do believe that the reason we are
having such a
hard time finding a word for 'privacy' is because in Arab culture,
the concept
truly is less important. In my experience, privacy is not a cherished
value in
Arab households, and it is not something that I have found most Arabs
chasing
after or longing for. Thus, the lack of a word in Arabic, and the
fact that the
concept is so clearly-defined in English does, I believe, reflect
certain
cultural facts.

Compromise, on the other hand, must exist wherever there is conflict. I
remember once a Muslim businessman telling me after he made some
concessions to
someone in a deal he was involved in, that the model for his decision
was the
Prophet Muhammad's behavior at the Treaty of Hudaybiyya. The Prophet,
he said,
gave up something during those negotiations so that he could get
something else
later. Is this not compromise?