Arabic-L:PEDA:Gulf Arabic resources

Thu Dec 6 15:57:26 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Gulf Arabic resources
2) Subject:Gulf Arabic resources
3) Subject:Gulf Arabic resources

Date: 06 Dec 2007
From:Haroon Shirwani <arabictutor at hotmail.com>
Subject:Gulf Arabic resources

Hi Jonathan. Clive Holes' Colloquial Arabic of the Gulf sounds like
just the thing for someone in your situation. It's quite dense in
terms of linguistic jargon, and I would not recommend it to an
absolute beginner, but I think you will really enjoy it. It certainly
worked for me when I tried to make a shift from MSA to Gulf Colloquial.

(NB I have heard that the language used is sometimes eccentric or out
of date as it is from a particular part of Bahrain that Prof Holes was
in several years ago. Personally, I did not find this a problem.)

Regards,

Haroon