Arabic-L:LING:Wants help with research on Arabic 'texting'

Wed Dec 12 00:39:14 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Wants help with research on Arabic 'texting'

Date: 11 Dec 2007
From:dreynold at religion.ucsb.edu
Subject:Wants help with research on Arabic 'texting'

Dear Arabic-L members,

I have a very bright undergraduate student who studied in Cairo last
year and is writing an exciting Honor's paper under my direction on
digitized 3rabic as used in "txting" on cellphones, in online
chatrooms, and in postings to websites such as Facebook.

She has already gathered a small corpus via her own personal network
in Egypt, but would now like to expand her research to include
digitized 3rabic in other Arab countries.

If you have access to native speakers of Arabic at your institution --
TA's, Arab students, bilingual Arab-Americans, and so forth -- could
you please pass the attached brief survey form on to them?  I suspect
they will actually enjoy responding if they are young people and "txt"
in Arabic regularly.

There are some very interesting aspects of code-switching and other
issues that are surfacing in my student's work, so I hope you will
consider giving her a hand in connecting to a broader survey
population.  Egyptian responses are welcome too, it's just that there
is a particular interest at this point in contacting speakers from
other countries as well.

Best,
Dwight Reynolds

Dwight F. Reynolds, Professor            Arabic Language & Lit
Department of Religious Studies          Phone: (805) 893-7143
University of California                 Dept:  (805) 893-7136
Santa Barbara, CA 93106                  FAX:   (805) 893-2059

[here is the text of the attachment:]

My name is Allegra O’Donoghue and I an undergraduate at the
University of California, Santa Barbara, majoring in Middle Eastern
Studies.  I am interested in learning about how young bilingual Arabs
communicate digitally, particularly in the mixture of English with
Arabic and transliterating into Roman or English letters.  I hope to
ascertain the development and usage of this form of language, codify
spelling and determine whether or not its users have established
grammar rules.  I would greatly appreciate your help with this
project!  If you know of anyone who might like to participate, please
forward it on.  Feel free to elaborate on any question.  You may type
directly on this document, re-save it and send it back, or simply
number your answers on a separate document, or directly in the body of
an email.  I’d appreciate your response as soon as possible, and you
may contact me directly at  HYPERLINK
"mailto:allegretta at umail.ucsb.edu" allegretta at umail.ucsb.edu
Shukran!

Name:
Age:
Sex:

How long have you studied English and how old were you when you began?

What was the language of instruction in your
primary school-
secondary school-
university-

In what country/ies do you hold citizenship and in what country/ies
were you raised?

Which dialects of Arabic are you familiar with? And which do you use
when online and in texts (SMS’s)?

Do you ever use Arabic script when typing or texting (sending SMS’s)?
If so, when?

Please look over the alphabet below.  Do you have any additions,
subtractions or comments?

ء-2
ا-a
ب-b
ت-t
ث-th, s
ج-g, j
ح-7, h
خ-7', kh, 5
د-d
ذ-z, th
ر-r
ز-z
س-s
ش-sh
ص-s
ض-d,
ط-t, 6
ظ- th, z
ع-a, ‘a, 3, a’
غ-gh, 3’
ف- f
ق- q, 2, k
ك-k
ل-l
م-m
ن-n
ه-h
و- as a consonant-w, as a vowel-  oo, ou, u
ي- as a consonant-ya, as a vowel ee, y, i
Short vowels:
kasra- i
dhamma- u, o
fat7a- a,e

Comments:

When typing with the Roman alphabet, are you consistent in your
spelling of words?

Please type the following sentence as you normally would using the
Roman alphabet:

والله يا جماعة أنا مبسوطة إن فيه جروب
كده بجد برافو عليكويا شباب وانا نفسي
موت مصر ترجع زي زمان بس إيه لا حياة لمن
تنادي وعاوزنا نرجع زي زمان قول للزمان
إرجع يا زمان

When typing messages on a computer or cell phone, do you notice any
particular words or phrases that you normally always write in
English?  For example:

“howwa ento bete3melo design it-shirts w keda? Walla just printing?”
“ya gama3a al t-shirt 7elwa moot wel printing gamed awyy….”

In both examples, the writers wrote “t-shirts” and “printing”
in English.

Are there any phrases or expressions that you only use when typing or
texting and never use while speaking?

How often do you use the internet/text messaging?
multiple times a day
once a day
a few times a week
once a week

Are there any websites/profiles other than facebook on which you leave
messages or chat with your friends frequently?