Arabic-L:TRANS&PEDA:Translation Programs in Gulf

Tue Dec 18 20:30:55 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Translation Programs in Gulf

Date: 18 Dec 2007
From:mutarjm at aol.com
Subject:Translation Programs in Gulf

Greetings.

These two universities in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, offer BA degrees in
Translation and Interpreting (T&I); the name of the degree major may
be akin to?"English Language and Literature with?Specialization in
Translation and Interpreting."

King Saud University (KSU offers options for further specialization in
various technologies, career fields, and subjects)

Imam Mohammed bin Saud Islamic University (strong in teaching?
bidirectional translation, but apparently so-so in interpreting, in
comparison with graduates from KSU)

My former employer in Riyadh hires numbers of?graduates from both
institutions for careers as professional Interpreter/Translators.
After entry on duty,?these new-hire ITs attend in-house professional,?
technical and specialized training for several months before they
report to their offices in their assigned work units

I understand that King Abdul Aziz University in Jeddah also offers
such a degree program, but I don't have details.

UAE University in Al-Ain, Abu Dhabi might now have that sort of degree
program up and running.

Hope this helps.

Khair, in shaa' Allah.

Regards,