Arabic-L:LING:khiDamm query

Thu Feb 1 20:24:05 UTC 2007

1) Subject:khiDamm query

Date: 01 Feb 2007
From:"Rogier Visser" <rogier.visser at gmail.com>
Subject:khiDamm query

Hi all,

I have recently encountered the word khiDamm (sea or ocean), which
reminded
me of the word sijill (register), because of the shadda on the final
radical. Does anybody have an explanation for the existence of this
rather
strange pattern Fi'iLL/Fi'aLL (why isn't is just khiDam or sijil?). Are
there more similar words?

Rogier Visser