Arabic-L:LING:Lexical Foresight Repost

Thu Feb 1 20:15:16 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Lexical Foresight Repost

Date: 01 Feb 2007
From:"Dr. M. Deeb" <muhammaddeeb at gmail.com>
Subject:Lexical Foresight Repost

[I am reposting this since the Arabic didn't come through for many
people.  In trying to figure out why the Arabic comes through
sometimes and sometimes does not, it occurred to me that it is the
nicely formatted submissions (like Prof. Deeb's) that often don't
come through.  So I copied his post into a text editor and removed
ALL the formatting.  Could someone for whom the Arabic did NOT come
through before let me know if it does come through this time?
thanks, dil]

Lexical Foresight

             Their richness and diversity notwithstanding, Arabic
lexicons pay only passing attention to etymology, and when they do,
the background information is either general or uncertain. Whilst
much can be said about this unfortunate deficiency which still
persists despite the efforts of the Arabic academies, I would like
specifically to point out the conflicting etymology of Iraq.

I.    Al-Qa:mu:s al-MuHi:T traces the (عراق) entry to its presumed
Persian origin as (إيران شهر) which means a country rich in
palm-trees.

II.    Lisa:n al-‘Arab, on the other hand, suggests that (عراق)
is the Arabicized form of the Persian origin (إيراق).

     III.    The philologist al-ASma’iyy has a different view,
quoted in al-Muzhir.  Whereas he agrees that (إيران شهر) is
the Persian origin, he contends, with an uncanny modern foresight,
that it means “the wasteland.”   [my emphasis]

             *MD