Arabic-L:ALS Provo Final Program and info

Mon Feb 12 19:33:34 UTC 2007

1) Subject:ALS Provo Final Program and info

Date: 12 Feb 2007
From:Dil Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:ALS Provo Final Program and info

There were a few necessary changes to the program, but hopefully this
should be the final version.  I will post it at the end of this message.

Also, please note the following items of information.

The first day sessions (Friday, 2 March) will be held in 3211 WSC
(the Wilkinson Center) which is the Student Activity Center on
Brigham Young University Campus.  If you are driving, you should park
in the Museum of Art parking lot (there is a booth, but they give
visitors a free pass).  If you are taking a shuttle from a hotel,
they will drop you off near the Wilkinson Center.  (Reminder: if you
want us to pick you up in our shuttle vans that we have rented for
the conference, please let Tessa know by about a week before so we
can organize it.)

There will be breaks with refreshments in the middle of the morning
and afternoon sessions on Friday.  It is possible that the Middle
East Studies Student Association will host a small informal reception
for us Friday right after the last session (they are still working on
setting it up.) Lunch and dinner (and breakfast) that day are on your
own.  There are several eating options right in the Wilkinson Center,
as well as other places to eat both on and off campus.  We will
provide a list with your registration materials when you arrive.

The Saturday Sessions (3 March) will be held at the Aspen Grove
Conference Center, which is up in the mountains above the Sundance
Ski Resort, in a beautiful alpine setting.  We will have two vans
available for transportation, and several conference attendees will
have cars, so we will arrange on Friday to make sure everyone has a
way to get there.

There will be breaks with refreshments on Saturday at about 10 and
about 12:15.  We will serve lunch for the attendees (and anyone else
who registers within the next week) (cost included in conference
fees) at 2:00 in the Center dining hall.  This is a fairly isolated,
wilderness spot, and there are no other eating options, so if you
have special food needs you might want to bring a food for the day,
or make arrangements with me or Tessa.

The conference will end after the 2:00 PM lunch.  However, it is
possible we will schedule either a business meeting or a board
meeting at that time, so stay tuned on that. If you have your own
transportation, you might want to visit Sundance after the conference
on the way down the mountain.  It has excellent restaurants.  For a
more extensive visit, you could hit the Olympic events park in Heber
Valley, and/or the ski resorts and Olympic event sites in the Park
City area (instead of heading straight back to Provo).  If you will
be staying Saturday night, you might consider staying in Salt Lake
City, which also has a number of attractions (as well as the
conference at the University of Utah on Sunday and Monday).

Here is the program:

Friday

8:00 Registration

8:25 Welcome

8:30 Ghassan Husseinali:
Processability and Development of Syntax and Agreement in
Interlanguage of Learners of Arabic as a Foreign Language

9:00 Mohammad T. Alhawary:
Processability theory: Processing prerequisites or L1 transfer

9:30 Khawla Aljenaie:
Imperatives in Early Kuwaiti Arabic Child Language: Experimental
Approach

10:00 Break

10:15 Samira Farwaneh:
Paradigm Uniformity Effects and the Arabic Verb

10:45 Kamel Elsaadany:
An LFG Account of Agreement

11:15 Usama Soltan:
Structural Opacity and default agreement in Standard Arabic

11:45 Ahmad Al-Jallad:
The Etymology of the Imperfect Indicative Augment bi- in some Neo-
Arabic dialects

12:15 Lunch on your own

1:30 Abbas Benmamoun:
A corpus study of negation in Arabic dialects

2:00 Dilworth Parkinson:
Sentence Subject Agreement Variation in Newspaper Arabic

2:30 Tim Buckwalter:
A Corpus-based Frequency Count of Spoken and Written Modern Arabic

3:00 Bushra Zawaydeh:
The LInguistic Properties of Romanized Arabic used in Chat rooms

3:30 Break

3:45 Zina Saadi:
Arabic Unicode Variations in Natural Language Processing

4:15 Munther Younes:
Charging Steeds or Maidens doing good deeds?

4:45 Ahmad Fakhri:
Citations in Arabic Legal Opinion: 'iftaa's versus qaDAa'

5:15  possible reception

Dinner on your own

Saturday

8:30 Hossam Eldin Ibrahim Ahmed:
Same Mode, Different Representation: Standard/colloquial code
switching in Arabic

9:00 Jonathan Owens, Trent Rockwood:
The Discourse Marker yaʕni: what it (really) means

9:30 Maher Bahloul:
Unveiling the Pragmatics of ya'ni, fil-Haqiqa and Tab'an in Formal
Conversational Arabic

10:00 Break

10:15 Marwa Mohamed Khamis Al-Zouka:
Directness and Face Relations in Egyptian Arabic Performatives: A
Socio-Pragmatic Study

10:45 Reda A. Mahmoud:
A Text Pragmatic Approach to Moot questions in Arabic

11:15 Mustafa Mughazy and Nehad Heliel:
The pragmatics of dialect change: the case of negation in the Arabic
dialect of Alexandria.

11:45 Ahmad Shehu Abdussalam:
Linguistic Security of Arabic in the context of globalization

12:15 Break