Arabic-L:GEN:ITISALAT closing down

Wed Jan 3 23:49:40 UTC 2007

1) Subject:ITISALAT closing down

Date: 03 Jan 2007
From:paul roochnik <proochnikllc at yahoo.com>
Subject:ITISALAT closing down

Dear Friends,

Ahlan wa-sahlan, kull `am wa-antum b'khayr.

Some of you old-timers may remember ITISALAT... "IT  IS  Arabic
LAnguage  And  Technology"... the first internet forum on Arabic
computing, begun in the early 1990s.

I have made a momentous decision: The time has come to bid "ITISALAT"
a fond but final farewell.  Yes, I have unplugged the power cord,
removed the feeding tube, unhitched the respirator.  Ma'a salama, ya
ITISALAT.  Many of you probably thought ITISALAT had disappeared at
the turn of the millennium.  No, IT was just dormant... the long
sleep.  Now comes the longest sleep, the permanent one: Arabic cyber-
historians in the future will mark the official death of ITISALAT as
the first day of winter 2006.

ITISALAT started with a bang in 1993 and made its mark in the Arabic
computing community.  It served a real purpose for the first 5 years
of its life, disseminating information about Arabic computing and
software, and fostering cooperation and collaboration in the field.

By the end of the 1990s, most of the problems associated with Arabic
computing were already being handled by the big guys -- Microsoft et
al.  Competing code pages vanished in favor of the MS Windows Arabic
code page; right-to-left issues were resolved, etc. etc.  The traffic
on ITISALAT slowed to a trickle.  Sometimes, months would go by
without a single message or exchange.

I feel a certain sadness that I am no longer part of that pioneering
adventure.  In the 1980s, Arabic computing was so new, so
problematic, and such fun!  Now we just do Arabic on the computer
with nary a thought, nary a worry.

In any case, we have an even better outlet for discussion of Arabic
computing issues on Arabic-L, Dil Parkinson's forum associated with
the American Association of Teachers of Arabic.  The conversation
continues and it is in the best of hands.

So may the Good Lord grant ITISALAT that eternal rest that it has
earned, out of the cybersphere, up into digital heaven.  Amen.

Cheers,
Abu Sammy