Arabic-L:PEDA:Needs Dialect learning resources for those who know fusha

Wed Jan 17 19:42:03 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Needs Dialect learning resources for those who know fusha

Date: 17 Jan 2007
From:Jonathan Lange <jonathanlange at yahoo.com>
Subject:Needs Dialect learning resources for those who know fusha

Does anyone know of good resources for learning Arabic
dialects for those who already have advanced
proficiency in fusha?  I am particularly interested in
learning Moroccan dialect as I have found myself
working with several Moroccans lately, but I would be
curious to know if there are such resources for any
dialect.  I am aware of the books used for Egyptian
'aamiyya in CASA and of the various 'Colloquial' books
and the Iraqi and Moroccan dialect books published by
Georgetown.  However, the latter two groups seem to be
geared toward complete beginners and lack the more
complex structures of the dialects and/or are reprints
of outdated texts.

On s separate dialect query, does anyone know any
decent resources to learn more about Arabic dialects
spoken natively in non-Arab countries (i.e. Mali,
Niger, Chad, Somalia, other parts of Africa, Iran,
Turkey, etc.)?  I'd be interested to know more about
them.

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide!

-Jonathan Lange