Arabic-L:GEN:Transcription Responses

Tue Jan 23 19:46:56 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Transcription Response
2) Subject:Transcription Response
3) Subject:Transcription Response

Date: 23 Jan 2007
From:Gerhard Wedel <gwedel at zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:Transcription Response

Dear Mai Zaki and all interested in umschrift and transliteration codes,

all transliteration / transcription characters are included in character
sets that are based  on UniCode, e.g. Arial Unicode MS which is part
of MS
Office. But this set is a Helvetica set which not all people like and
which
is not usable for printing in books.

I will give some hints and useful internet addresses for alternative
solutions.

Other sets of characters looking like Times (= serif script) are
Thryomanes
and Gentium. Both are available on the internet.
Thryomanes: http://www.io.com/~hmiller/lang/
Gentium:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium

All these characters sets have in common that special characters that we
need for transliteration are not accessible directly. So you have to use
the function INSERT Symbol or better - for fast access - to build a WORD
makro including all transliteration characters in one list using e.g.
the
ALT GR as additional key for fast access.

A better way is that to use the KLM = keyboard layout manager. With
help of
this tool you can to map all useful characters on ALT GR key. Load
down the
KLM and install. The usage for mapping is relatively simple.
KLM: http://solair.eunet.yu/~minya/Programs/klm/

Please comment and answer if anyone has better proposals and sources for
free ware tools!

best wishes and success,
Gerhard Wedel, Berlin