Arabic-L:Transcription

Wed Jan 31 21:00:36 UTC 2007

Arabic-L: Wed 31 Jan 2007

1) Subject:Transcription

Date: 31 Jan 2007
From:lionelf <lionelf at ftc-i.net>
Subject:Transcription

If you think Arabic transcription is vexed, try Devanagari sometime!

I have developed for my own use what looks at first like a clunky
solution, but turns out to be quite elegant. I call it the vruwmiy
(pronounced "ruwmiy") script, and its main virtues are (1) that it
can reproduce every nuance of the script used or the Qur'an,
including things like pauses, in a fairly intuitive way; and (2) it
can be used on any keyboard, so that you don't have to have
Tavultesoft or the like. I've been using it for about 2 years now,
and it facilitated teaching my own children to read Arabic in
practically no time at all.

If anyone is interested, please write direct to me and I'll send you
a listing of the system, plus a piece of software that converts
vruwmiy to standard (but unvowelled) Arabic script.

Lionel Fleetwood