Arabic-L:LING:Lexical Foresight

Wed Jan 31 21:00:29 UTC 2007

Arabic-L: Wed 31 Jan 2007

1) Subject:Lexical Foresight

Date: 31 Jan 2007
From:"Dr. M. Deeb" <muhammaddeeb at gmail.com>
Subject:Lexical Foresight

Lexical Foresight

             Their richness and diversity notwithstanding, Arabic
lexicons pay only passing attention to etymology, and when they do,
the background information is either general or uncertain. Whilst
much can be said about this unfortunate deficiency which still
persists despite the efforts of the Arabic academies, I would like
specifically to point out the conflicting etymology of Iraq.

I.    Al-Qa:mu:s al-MuHi:T traces the (????) entry to its presumed
Persian origin as (????? ???) which means a country rich in palm-trees.

II.    Lisa:n al-'Arab, on the other hand, suggests that (????) is
the Arabicized form of the Persian origin (?????).

     III.    The philologist al-ASma'iyy has a different view, quoted
in al-Muzhir.  Whereas he agrees that (????? ???) is the Persian
origin, he contends,

              with an uncanny modern foresight, that it means "the
wasteland."   [my emphasis]

             *MD