Arabic-L:LING:Negative Reactions to Colloquial First

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu Jun 7 17:47:28 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Negative Reactions to Colloquial First
2) Subject:Negative Reactions to Colloquial First

Date: 07 June 2007
From:"Schub, Michael B." <Michael.Schub at trincoll.edu>
Subject:Negative Reactions to Colloquial First

hi,

       One underlying academic question is 'how low can we
go?' [limbo having been officially been damned {darned?} to limbo].

       In about 1929(?) the Turks replaced their modified Arabic
script with a latinized script [similar to English] because the
former represented the phonology and morphology of Turkish as
pathetically and as inefficiently as it does all Arabic dialects.
Thus almost all academic textbooks worthy of the name for dialectal
Arabic are written in phonetic [again, similar to English] script.

      The four years I taught Arabic at Yale (on a different planet),
only FUSHA was taught, WITHOUT ANY ORAL REQUIREMENT.  Those students
who immediately went on to Middlebury (one of them is now Professor
of Middle Eastern Studies at MIT) reported that they were a bit lost
for about two weeks, and subsequently they became the mentors of many
advanced students who were clueless as to the case endings (al-
i`raab  <  root  `\ `  r  b  \  = THAT WHICH MAKES ARABIC ARABIC) and
were unable to look up an Arabic word in an Ar--Eng dictionary!

      Courses in pure MSA (modern FUSHA) tend to turn off students
who are intellectually lazy and merely want to PARTY.  They have no
desire to do academically worthwhile homework--yet some of us must
accomodate them to have enrollment in our classes.

       Sibawayhi is spinning in his grave like an atomic dreidel.

                                  Ma`a  ssalaama,

             Mike Schub

P.S.  according to this proposed plan, your Arabic students will be
totally ILLITERATE in Arabic after one entire year of university
instruction

       Ibn Jinni is spinning in his grave like an atomic dreidel.

                                    ms