Arabic-L:PEDA:Colloquial First Discussion

Fri Jun 15 17:05:30 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Colloquial First Discussion (response from Mustafa)
2) Subject:Colloquial First Discussion
3) Subject:Colloquial First Discussion
4) Subject:Colloquial First Discussion
5) Subject:Colloquial First Discussion
6) Subject:Colloquial First Discussion
7) Subject:Colloquial First Discussion

Date: 15 Jun 2007
From:Mustafa Mughazy <mustafa.mughazy at wmich.edu>
Subject:Colloquial First Discussion

Thanks to all of those who responded to my announcement by posting
comments on the list or by emailing me directly. We are taking all these
comments in consideration and we are seriously interested in what you
think.

Initially, I was worried that this posting might reignite the old debate
of whether colloquial dialects should be taught at all. However, ALL the
dialect; the question now is how and when. I think this is a major
paradigm shift that should be noted.

For considerations of space and your time, I did not include all the
details in my initial posting. I think now is a better time to clarify a
couple of points.

We do not intend to use Romanized transcription or transliteration at
all. Colloquial Arabic will be exclusively taught in the Arabic script
with minor modifications to accommodate the dialect (these modifications
are not idiosyncratic; they are used in MSA to encode things like the v,
p, and g). This way, knowledge of the writing system can easily transfer
to MSA. I completely agree that teaching ONLY colloquial in
transliteration leads to illiterate Arabic speakers; there are enough of
those already in the Arab world.

The textbook we are using for the dialect is in the Arabic script and it
includes all the MSA-Colloquial shared words and grammar points in the
Al-kitaab I, which students will start using in the second semester.
Students will start Unit 1 of Al-kitaab knowing most of the words
already. Hopefully that will speed up their acquisition of MSA.

Learning a dialect and then Fusha sounds to me like moving from simple
to complicated, which is a natural progress of learning anything;
tricycle then a bicycle, and for the very talented ones a monocycle.

For programs with significant numbers of heritage students, I think the
colloquial first approach will promote a fair/equal opportunity learning
environment. Heritage students can test out of the colloquial semester.
In the second semester, the gap between them and non-heritage students
will be less problematic.

We can all agree that studying abroad is useful when learning any
modern/living language. However, I do not think studying MSA/Classical
Arabic alone in the Middle East is a particularly productive activity.
It is no different from studying those varieties of Arabic in the US
because those students will not get immersed in MSA or Classical Arabic
(we might need a time machine for this). If students want to be immersed
in MSA/CA, I recommend the libraries of the U of Michigan, Illinois, and
Georgetown. Exposure to the culture is invaluable, but I am completely
against the assumption that students can pick up colloquial Arabic on
the street. Maybe some students are good at this, but the vast majority
needs instruction.

Finally, I looked at various medieval Arabic texts and there is quite a
bit of colloquial in them, so even students who plan to become scholars
of medieval studies still need to know colloquial. I have seen many
scholars of anthropology, political science, and sociology who spent
years studying MSA only, and ended up using interpreters when they
conducted research in the Middle East. I have no idea how government
agents use MSA to do their business.

By the way, how do you stop a car in Iraqi Arabic? The American gesture
for stopping cars looks very much like the Egyptian gesture for greeting
someone who is far (in a car); no wonder they do not stop!

Mustafa Mughazy