Arabic-L:LING:Etymology and 'timeline' of Salibi for 'crusader'

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Mar 16 15:36:34 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Etymology and 'timeline' of Salibi for 'crusader'

Date: 16 Mar 2007
From:moderator
Subject:Etymology and 'timeline' of Salibi for 'crusader'

I received the following request for information from a non-
subscriber.  If you could send me any answers or comments, I will
compile them for the list and send them to the person who made the
request.
dil

Medieval sources refer to the Crusaders as "al Franj" ("the Franks").
At what point does Arab culture make the transition to using the term
"Salibi"? Bernard Lewis mentions the vocabulary transition as a
response to colonialism (which I suppose places it in the late 19th/
early 20th century) but only in a sort of off-handed way.

Can you point me towards a more detailed entymology (preferably in
English)?
I would appreciate any assistance you could offer.

Thanks,
Gerry Watkins