Arabic-L:K-16:Needs High School Arabic Textbook advice

Mon Mar 26 18:44:50 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Needs High School Arabic Textbook advice

Date: 26 Mar 2007
From:"abdel khila" <akhila at hotmail.com>
Subject:Needs High School Arabic Textbook advice

My district wants to start an Arabic program in the high school and I
was asked to review some textbooks and offer my recommendation as to
what would be the best textbook to use for the high school students.
These are American students and would have Arabic for the first time
ever. I would really appreciate it if there are any K-12 Arabic
teachers here who could offer any suggestions of good textbooks to
use with students of that level and background based on their own
teaching experiences.

I am myself a native speaker of Arabic and I currently teach French
at the middle school level. My department wants me to submit my
recommendation for an appropriate textbook ASAP. I also need to
reject at least another three books explaining why I did not think
they were suitable for the students. I am really interested in a
textbook that allows students to learn Arabic in a communicative and
functional way and helps them hone different skills, a textbook that
has authentic and valid cultural representations, is free of
stereotypes, and most importantly is neutral in terms of religion
(These are American students and promoting any brand of religion is
prohibited in public schools, etc. The textbook would really be a
supplement to the instruction in the classroom and a guide for
students for homework, etc. I am planning on using and creating other
resources besides the book.

I was able to get the textbook "Ahlan wa Sahlan" by Mahdi Alosh from
a friend who uses it at the university level. It is an ok book;
however, it is dense and lectures a lot. I am not sure if it is
appropriate for High school kids. I also looked at Alif Baa and
Alkitaab. I hate to say both books are poor textbooks in terms of
what we are looking for. Alif Baa focuses solely on form and Arabic
writing (which are of course very important)in a very static way, we
are however  looking more for a book that can teach students Arabic
writing gradually coupled with other skills also like speaking,, etc.
I also noticed ALKEETAB FII TA'ALLUM AL-ARABIYYA somewhat lacks a lot
of functional objectives and the lessons in it are sequenced somewhat
poorly.

I am thinking more and more there are really no Arabic textbooks for
k-12 students and I might have to end up using college Arabic
textbooks or do without a textbook altogether!

I apologize for my message being long. I really appreciate any help
or suggestions.
Abdelkader