Arabic-L:K-16:Response to HS textbook query reponses

Fri Mar 30 18:42:49 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Response to HS textbook query reponses

Date: 30 Mar 2007
From:"Dora Johnson" <dora at cal.org>
Subject:Response to HS textbook query reponses

This is a nice list of existing textbooks and curricula, but it should
be a wakeup call to all of us that there are simply not enough textbooks
for the growing market of Arabic as a foreign language for use by K-12
students in the U.S. I am not sure how we're going to find the funds to
develop more materials, but somehow we have to keep on trying. This
summer there will be a workshop on developing curricula for Arabic in
Washington through the National Capital Language Resource Center. A
notice was posted earlier on this list about the workshop. It is one
place to begin developing something to share.

The second thing that comes to mind is that, from our experience of
listening to presentations and talking with teachers, there are some
incredibly creative teachers out there who have been developing their
own teacher-made materials for quite a while. I know that many of them
are unwilling to share them because (a) they're
unsure that they are complete and can be subject to criticism; (b)
someone will pick them up and use them without attribution; and (c)
there is not a good way to disseminate them.

Is there a way to start a conversation on what might be a good venue to
encourage the teachers we know have developed materials and ask them to
post them or information about them with contact information on how to
get them from the teacher? It would be very helpful to get some solid
suggestions. Please post your answers to the entire list. It's a good
way to keep everybody informed.

Dora Johnson