Arabic-L:PEDA:NMELRC/UofArizona Fast-Track Intensive Arabic Program in Amman, Jordan

Fri May 11 18:11:12 UTC 2007

1) Subject:NMELRC/UofArizona Fast-Track Intensive Arabic Program in
Amman, Jordan

Date: 11 May 2007
From:Kirk Belnap <belnap at byu.edu>
Subject:NMELRC/UofArizona Fast-Track Intensive Arabic Program in
Amman, Jordan

Greetings and apologies for yet another message!

We know that there are a lot of students who are disappointed that
they did not receive Critical Languages Scholarships. We have room
for a few more good students and would like to ask you to steer
serious students who have completed or are now completing their
fourth semester of Arabic to take a look at our Fast-Track Intensive
Arabic Program in Amman, Jordan (June 10 to August 16). This is an
intensive program designed to assist students to make significant
breakthroughs in acquiring functional fluency in speaking and reading
(without spending a lot of money). Our research on similar programs
we've run in the past tells us that 85% of those who are now at
Intermediate level (ILR 1 or 1+) will reach Advanced level speaking
proficiency (ILR 2 or 2+--that's right, a few even make it to 2+!).
We also have good data suggesting similar levels in reading but
there's no readily available test available to officially certify
this yet--but stay tuned, there will be before long.

Please let your good students know that they don't have to be
superhuman language learners, just serious about immersing themselves
in Arabic and reasonably well-prepared (they've done well in a solid
fourth semester Arabic course). This is a fun program that gets the
students out into the community to learn (most days there are only
two and half hours of in-class activities). It's learning through
doing, using Arabic to communicate.

For more information, see: http://studyabroad.arizona.edu/
display_program.php?id=171 or contact Jeremy Palmer
<jeremy.palmer at gmail.com>. I can also answer last minute questions.

Many thanks and all the best for the summer!

Kirk

R. Kirk Belnap, Director
National Middle East Language Resource Center
3056 JFSB
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
belnap at byu.edu