Arabic-L:LING:Arabic sign languages responses

Thu May 17 15:00:19 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Arabic sign languages response
2) Subject:Arabic sign languages response

Date: 17 May 2007
From:Dan Parvaz <dparvaz at mac.com>
Subject:Arabic sign languages response

There is no one  Arabic sign language. Every few years, a bunch of
Hearing educators from across the Arab world get together in hopes of
creating a pan-Arab sign language, but nothing really comes of it
because (a) most of these teachers are not terribly skilled in their
local signed language, and (b) as you can imagine, there is quite a
bit of resistance to this idea. As for what is signed on Al-Jazeera,
that is mostly Levantine, with some other stuff mixed in, but it was
created out of thin air.

Each country/region has their own signed language. There is quite a
bit of intelligibility across the Levant (and some with Iraq and
Saudi Arabia), but absolutely none between, say, Jordan and Tunisia.

The university-level research I've seen on signed languages in the
Middle East has strictly been low-hanging fruit: gathering word
lists, etc. If you want, I'd be happy to provide what I have. Heck, I
could metro over with my stack o' theses.

Cheers,

-Dan.