Arabic-L:PEDA:Gulf Arabic Intensive Summer Programme

Tue May 22 18:11:10 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Gulf Arabic Intensive Summer Programme

Date: 22 May 2007
From:Maria Persson <Maria.Persson at ling.lu.se>
Subject:Gulf Arabic Intensive Summer Programme

Gulf Arabic Programme Intensive Summer Programme

The Gulf Arabic Programme is offering a one-month intensive course
in colloquial Gulf Arabic from Sunday, July 1 until Thursday, July
26. The summer the course will be in Buraimi, Oman, a twin city to Al
Ain, United Arab Emirates.

This course is for (almost) beginners. We require that students be
able to read, write, pronounce and recognise the characters of the
Arabic script before they arrive. We have placed this requirement on
applicants because it is possible for students to acquire this
familiarity at home using one of the many 'Teach Yourself' courses
and it allows us to move straight into teaching the language. To help
students see if they are sufficiently competent in the script to
benefit from the course we have devised a self-assessment on our
website.

This course concentrates on the spoken Arabic so no Modern Standard
Arabic is taught. If you are interested in verbal communication with
Gulf Arabs and with developing your speaking and listening skills
then this course is for you. If you are interested in improving your
reading and writing skills then it is not. Local native speakers will
teach you everyday vocabulary and common expressions used by Arabic
speakers in this part of the world, within a framework that teaches
you to express yourself as Arabs would express themselves. Classes
run from 8:00 a.m. until 2:40 p.m. every day.  However, once the
day's classes are over the learning continues!! Students will then
need to spend 4 hours a day divided between  'community
learning' (spending time with local people) and private study
(practising and preparing for classes).

By the end of the course it is expected that students will be at
Novice High level on the ACTFL scale, i.e. be able to give and
receive directions; use verbs in the past and (to some extent) the
present and engage in very basic conversations in a few topics.

The total cost for the Intensive Summer Programme is AED 3500, this
includes tuition fees and the course book. Students should also allow
for AED 6 per day for travel to and from the institute. Please
contact us if you would like more details on accommodation options

For further details or application information please email to
info at gapschool.net. Web: www.gapschool.net