Arabic-L:PEDA:Graduate Translation Programs in the US

Wed May 30 23:24:40 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Graduate Translation Programs in the US

Date: 30 May 2007
From:Dil Parkinson
Subject:Graduate Translation Programs in the US

Thanks to those who responded about graduate translation programs.
Here is a summary:

*SUNY-Binghamton has a PHD program and has had several graduates who
did Arabic as one of the languages.
*Monterey Institute of International Studies has an MA program that
will specifically start to include Arabic Fall 2008.
*University of Massachusetts Amherst has an MA in translation studies
and Arabic can be one of the languages.
*Georgetown is currently considering starting an MA in interpreting,
with Arabic as one of the languages, and a person  could, therefore,
do a PhD in Linguistics with an emphasis on translation.
*Kent State has an MA program in translation, but does not list
Arabic as an option.  However, they are said to be starting a PhD
program.

There are possibly other places where one could do a PhD in
Linguistics with an individually tailored program that emphasized
translation.

I'll included the individual messages I received below; they include
some urls where one could get more specific information on these
programs.