Arabic-L:GEN:Test Message #4

Wed May 30 23:25:54 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Test Message #4

Date: 30 May 2007
From:moderator
Subject:Test Message #4

[html]

**
*On the "broken plurals," my colleague, Dr. Schub, raises a few probing
questions:*

* *

* *

*(1) He wonders why the plural / أسباط / is used instead of the
singular /
سبط / in the qur'anic verse: / وقطّعناهم اثنتي
عشرة أسباطا أمما /, VII: 160.
*

* *
*I'm afraid there is no violation of the grammatical code here.  We
are to
be alerted that /أسباطا / is not a noun of distinction /
تمييز /; rather, it
is a noun in apposition /بدل / to the number / اثنتي
عشرة /.  As a relevant
detail, may I add that even the masculine singular / سبط / would
not fit as
a noun of distinction after the feminine composite number /
اثنتي عشرة
/.  Exegetes
and grammarians construe the verse as:*
**
*/                     اثنتي عشرة ، أسباطا أمما
[فرقا] قطّعناهم /. *
**
*Incidentally, the word / سبط / has / سُبطان / as another,
yet rarely used,
plural of abundance. *

* *

**
*(2) As I probably had pointed out in one of my earlier posts on the
"broken
plurals," the sound feminine and masculine plurals are plurals of
abundance,
yet they may be used to indicate paucity either (a) by default or (b) on
contextual and syntactic grounds.  The word / مرة / has several
plurals, the
most common of which are /مرات / & / مِرار /, the latter
being a broken
plural of abundance.  **Thus, the sentence / رأيته مرات /
would mean "I've
seen him" anywhere from three times to infinity, whilst /رأيته
مرارا /
emphasizes the more repeated action of seeing as counting starts from
eleven
to infinity.  All that notwithstanding, practitioners of Arabic don't
use
pocket calculators!*
**
* **  (In parenthesis, I'm often tempted to think of / مرار / as a
verbal
noun, not a plural, which is lexically justified.)*
**
**
*(3) On /آلاف / (plural of paucity) & / ألوف / (plural of
multiplicity or
abundance), Dr. Schub observes correctly that / ألوف / "is found
in contexts
meaning 'thousands upon thousands,' etc."  Unfortunately, with the
disturbing Arabic illiteracy and growing use of local dialects, very
few, if
at all, would tell the distinction between plural forms, let alone
use them
properly.*
**
*With my 'abundant' and kin