Arabic-L:PEDA:Online Arabic Proficiency Test response

Mon Oct 15 22:20:46 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Online Arabic Proficiency Test response

Date: 15 Oct 2007
From:Kirk Belnap <belnap at byu.edu>
Subject:Online Arabic Proficiency Test response

I don't know of a currently available online proficiency test that
has been normed, but you may be interested in the following:

The Center for Applied Second Language Studies (CASLS)  at the Univ.
of Oregon is now piloting an Arabic reading comprehension test for
K-16. It is designed to cover the Novice and Intermediate levels.
They are looking for institutions to try it out. You can find out
more about their approach at:

http://caslspilot.uoregon.edu/

We (NMELRC) have been busy this past year working on an online Arabic
reading comprehension proficiency test to cover the Intermediate and
Advanced levels for adult learners. Thanks to Ray Clifford, Erika
Gilson, Hussein Elkhafaifi, our dedicated item writers, and ACTFL
reviewers, we're actually ahead of schedule. We plan to pilot it in
early 2008 and be in full-service mode by April. We'll be ramping up
with production of items for an Arabic  listening comprehension test
starting in February.

Best wishes,

R. Kirk Belnap, Director
National Middle East Language Resource Center
3056 JFSB
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
belnap at byu.edu